Friday, June 26, 2009

'So You Think You Can Dance' sends the right ones home






This is the first time this season on "So You Think You Can Dance" that I agree with both the Bottom Three and those eliminated. It's a Festivus miracle!

The Group Number is a Latin/Hip Hop hybrid to "I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho)" by Pitbull. Dmitry Chaplin and Tabitha & Napoleon choreographed it and did a fantastic job. I dug the whole vibe and I think everyone did a great job - the ladies dancing on the tables was a nice touch.

Oh Cat Deeley...is that a pantsuit? Strangely, it looks good on her. And her entrance was fantabulous. Nigel Lythgoe, Mary Murphy, and Toni Basil return for judging.

Before getting to the business of the show, Nigel says some kind words about Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, and Michael Jackson who all passed away in the last two days. They show a piece of "Thriller" before going to break. Not get to too much into it, these three people had a great impact on my childhood in different but equal ways. They we all be missed and my heart goes out to their loved ones.

Ok, so on with the results. There are five couples on stage - that might be a record. Asuka & Vitolio are the first in the Bottom Three. The rest of the contestants are all safe - in order: Janette & Brandon, Randi & Evan, Jeanine & Phillip, and Melissa & Ade.

The last three couples are onstage. Karla & Jonathan are in the bottom, and deservedly so because they were easily the worst last night. Caitlin & Jason must wait for Kayla & Kupono's recap before both find out the results. Caitlin & Jason round out the Bottom Three which I agree with. I thought Kayla & Kupono were really good last night. Was their number easier? No.

This week's special dance guest is a group called the Rage Boys Crew choreographed by Tiffany Burton. It's a big group of boys from I'd say 7-16 years old doing Hip Hop with a bunch of stunts and flips. There's a whole lot of hair on that stage. It was fun.

1. Asuka
Song: "Don't Trust Me" by 3Oh!3
I like her outfit. I'm a sucker for shimmy dresses. She worked the stage well and her legs are always great. I don't know if this was an improvement from her Week 1 solo but it wasn't worse than that.

2. Vitolio
Song: "Viva La Vida" by Coldplay
There was a diverse range of movements, though I don't know if they matched the music so much. It could be just that I don't care for the song. I would love to see Vitolio doing something to a drum heavy or spoken word piece. I think he could do something really interesting to it.

3. Karla
Song: "15 Step" by Radiohead
A great song choice. Why couldn't Vitolio have danced to something like this? She probably did enough to stick around. Probably. The choreography was solid.

4. Jonathan
Song: "The Hunted" by Kodd
This was a lot better than the Week 1 solo. Oy, was that awful. I think he did that Ricky Martin shoulder shimmy again which I find hard to condone if you're not Ricky Martin. It was good but I don't know if it was good enough to overcome last night's crash and burn.

5. Caitlin
Song: "Que Sera Sera" by Jennifer Terran
This was my favorite solo tonight. She was really, really great. Her movements had great flow and she was living in the moment. Very pretty.

6. Jason
Song: "New American Classic" by Taking Back Sunday
Jason and Vitolio have a similar flow of movements, though an opposite quality. Jason is smooth while Vitolio is staccato. His solo was pretty good, though I think I like his other one better. It's probably enough to keep him in though.

While the judges go off to make their decision, The Veronicas perform and the blonde one is particularly shrill during the chorus. Their outfits are very "Saloon Girl." They're singing with a track, though the band is "playing" behind them and there's a few dancers. I don't know if I'm picking up what they're putting down. Synth-Pop rarely appeals to me.

The judges are unanimous with their decision regarding the girls. Caitlin is safe, Nigel saying she had the best solo tonight. They found Karla a little desperate and off-balance. Nigel called Asuka an exciting performer but they felt she wasn't growing so it's time for her to go home.

The judges were not unanimous regarding the guys. Nigel says Vitolio always preps big but doesn't always deliver big movements. Nigel doesn't believe Jonathan has brought what's needed to be America's favorite dancer. Like Karla, the judges felt Jason looked a bit desperate. If he were against "better boys," he'd have been sent home. But he's safe. Vitolio has also been saved, thus eliminating Jonathan. Wolfpack has gone, long live Wolfpack.

I can't say I'm particularly surprised at either the Bottom Three or who went home. In fact, I totally agree. Do you? How'd you like the group number? Any other thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

infolinks