Monday, July 27, 2009

San Francisco Marathon Report

For those who don't have the internet or have some way of communication, you really wouldn't know that there's going to be a marathon in San Francisco this coming weekend. Not much has been mentioned on the news. On Tuesday, there was a full page ad taken out in the San Francisco Examiner regarding the different districts. It will tell you the approximate time the runners will be coming by a particular district. There was one problem - no race map!

I checked the sfgate website (San Francisco Chronicle) to see if there was an article this week. Not so far, but there may be one this weekend. I do know this......the event is not on live television and radio and hasn't been for several years. In New York, Boston, Chicago and Los Angeles, it's the talk of the weekend. Not here however!

I guess people assume that everyone uses the internet or has e-mail. Not so! Yesterday, I spoke with Greg and Bill whom I paced in last night's Summer Series at Lake Merced. They were totally unaware where to get their race kit (bib number, chip, etc.). I knew, because of the internet, where the expo was. In the past, the race organizers would mail a postcard to let you know where to pick up the kit like they do with the Bay To Breakers. Both Bill and Greg told me that this didn't happen. In fact, Greg assumed that it was going to be at the Pier 30 like last year. I called Greg back last night to give him the location.

The website has been very up-to-date regarding how many spots left in the different races to be held on Sunday. Definitely, there will be a record turnout of 20,000+ participants this Sunday.

Since the newspapers haven't yet told me who is running, I can tell you a few people who are. My running blogging friends - QS (Quicksilver from Southern California) and, I understand per an e-mail received, Mesh (Philippines) will be running. Someone I don't know by the name of Jorge (Philippines) will take part. Also, Workaholicrunner (Columbus, Ohio) will be running his first marathon. Locally, Greg Brown will run his 177th to break the tie for the all time DSE record for marathons run and completed. Also, Bill McCarty will attempt to break four hours and qualify for Boston. Good luck to all that I've mentioned as well as all who are participating!

For myself, I'll have the camera ready and will be shooting and doing a little running along the way.

Later on Friday, I'll stop by the runner expo and get some more scoop and take pics for my next report!

No comments:

Post a Comment

infolinks